Sports Business and Management MSc
This postgraduate business degree will develop your management skills while simultaneously building your confidence to work effectively within the global business of sport.
Developed by leading academics in the University of Liverpool’s AACSB, AMBA and EQUIS accredited Management School, this programme will cultivate the attributes needed to progress in your management career, grow your own sports business or thrive within an existing role. You will improve your ability to critically analyse sports organisations’ policies and practices within the dynamic sports business environment, empowering you to make evidence-based decisions. The modules will encourage you to develop as a reflective leader who can make a key contribution to enabling sustainable sports organisations.
You will gather insight from the University of Liverpool’s network of experts experienced in working with international, national and community sports organisations, including football, horse racing and rugby, to address the global issues of health and wellbeing.
The programme culminates in either: a final work-based project or dissertation which will enable you to integrate and apply the learning from the programme to explore an issue within your own organisation or the sports business environment. Alternatively, you can complete a research assignment into an aspect of the future of the sports management industry, featuring both team-based and individual projects.
Download a brochure for more details on this programme including module information.
This programme consists of the following modules. You are required to complete 180 credits to achieve a full Master of Science, 120 credits to achieve the postgraduate diploma (PG Dip), and 60 to achieve the postgraduate certificate (PG Cert).
- Global Context of Sports Business (15 credits)
- Sports Marketing and Sponsorship (15 credits)
- Leadership in Sport (15 credits)
- Sports Strategy and Governance (15 credits)
- Sports Business Analytics (15 credits)
- Sports Finance (15 credits)
- Sports Operations and Events (15 credits)
- Sports Business in Practice (15 credits)
- Work-Based Project / Futures Research for Sports Industries (60 credits)
For more information on the modules, including syllabus and learning outcomes, please download our programme booklet.
All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you want to discuss your previous qualifications and experience before applying, please contact us now via LiveChat.
Applicants should possess either:
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in an appropriate subject, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree; or
- Professional work experience in a related field and/or other prior qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must provide evidence that they have an English language ability equivalent to an IELTS (academic) score of 6.5.
If you don’t have an IELTS or equivalent certificate, you can take our free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
These fees* are fully inclusive of all costs, including all teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
- 15% Executive and Regional Scholarships currently offered**
- 5% discount for upfront full tuition fee payment
- Simple monthly payment plan provided to spread the cost over the duration of study
- Students living in England may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the programme cost.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed during the payment process.
**Please speak to our admissions team for more details.
Apply for this course by completing a simple online form.
In order to apply, you will need to provide copies of the following supporting documentation:
- School or college transcripts/certificates
- University transcripts and certified translations if applicable
- Degree certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (EU and international applications only)
- Personal statement
- One reference (on letter headed paper, signed and dated)
- An up-to-date CV.
Acknowledgement of your application
The admissions team will acknowledge receipt of your application and will pass it to the Department Head and/or appropriate academic department(s) for consideration.
Students with disabilities
We welcome applications from students with disabilities and consider them on the same academic grounds as those of other students. If you have a disability, medical condition and/or support needs it is important that you inform the University so that you receive appropriate support.
We have start dates throughout the year with regular application deadlines. As an applicant, you are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if you have special needs.
After completing this programme, you will be able to progress into management roles within the sports business sector. On the programme, you will learn from experts from sporting backgrounds giving you the opportunity to enhance your employability within the global sports business sector.
Alongside the subject-specific knowledge you will gain during the programme, you will also develop professional skills such as communication, teamwork, critical thinking and research. This will enhance your CV, allowing you to improve your career prospects and access more senior roles.