Cyber Security MSc | PGDip | PGCert – Online Course
Gain the specialist skills and techniques required to mitigate the increasing threat of cyberattacks through our focused master’s degree.
What is cyber security?
As the world becomes more reliant on technology and the internet, so too do cyber criminals find new ways to target our businesses, our identities and our finances. Cyber security is the first line of defence against these offenders, with cyber security measures set up to protect networks, equipment and online accounts from all kinds of damaging online threats.
A number of different fields make up cyber security, including things like data security and technology security, and with those fields come plenty of career opportunities to discover. Getting the right training to take on cyber criminality is the first step to embarking on a financially rewarding and ever-changing role in cyber security.
Achieving a high level of cyber security is one of the greatest challenges of modern society, and there is a significant skills shortage in this field. This programme will develop your technical and problem-solving skills to tackle the broad range of cyber security challenges that modern organisations face.
You will learn how to research, design and implement robust cyber security measures while developing your theoretical understanding of the discipline. Throughout the programme you will create a professional development plan and produce an e-portfolio to demonstrate your understanding and experience across the topics you study.
You will have access to an online development environment to practice and refine your new technical skills, which also contains all of the technologies and software you will need for the course – inclusive within your tuition fee.
Download a prospectus for more details on this programme.
This programme consists of the following modules. You are required to complete 180 credits to achieve a full Master of Science (MSc), 120 credits to achieve the postgraduate diploma (PGDip), and 60 credits to achieve the postgraduate certificate (PGCert).
- Global Trends in Computer Science (15 credits)
- Security Engineering and Compliance (15 credits)
- Applied Cryptography (15 credits)
- Cyber Crime Prevention and Protection (15 credits)
- Cyber Forensics (15 credits)
- Security Risk Management (15 credits)
- Elective module: choose from
- Deep Learning (15 credits)
- Machine Learning in Practice (15 credits)
- Multi-Agent Systems (15 credits)
- Natural Language Processing and Understanding (15 credits)
- Reasoning and Intelligent Systems (15 credits)
- Robotics (15 credits)
- Research Methods in Computer Science (15 credits)
- Computer Science Capstone Project (60 credits)
For more information on the modules, including syllabus and learning outcomes, please download our programme booklet.
All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you want to discuss your previous qualifications and experience before applying, please contact us now via LiveChat.
Applicants should possess either:
- A degree in computer science or a closely related subject, equivalent to a 2:2 UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ relevant IT professional experience; oror
- Professional work experience in IT or a related field and/or other prior qualifications, which will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must provide evidence that they have an English language ability equivalent to an IELTS (academic) score of 6.5.
If you don’t have an IELTS or equivalent certificate, you can take our free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
These fees* are fully inclusive of all costs, including all teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
Scholarships and discounts
You may be able to benefit from the following scholarships and discounts:
- Regional Scholarships of up to 15%. To find out the scholarship offered in your region, please make an enquiry now.
- 10% discount for University of Liverpool alumni
- 5% discount for up-front full tuition fee payment
We aim to make it as easy as possible for you to cover the costs of your studies. You could benefit from:
- Simple monthly payment plan provided to spread the cost over the duration of study
- Students living in England may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the programme cost.
Please speak to our admissions team for more details of fees, scholarships, discounts and support.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed.
Apply for this course by completing a simple online form.
In order to apply, you will need to provide copies of the following supporting documentation:
- School or college transcripts/certificates
- University transcripts and certified translations if applicable
- Degree certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (EU and international applicants only)
- Personal statement
- An up-to-date CV.
Acknowledgement of your application
The admissions team will acknowledge receipt of your application and will pass it to the Department Head and/or appropriate academic department(s) for consideration.
Students with disabilities
We welcome applications from students with disabilities and consider them on the same academic grounds as those of other students. If you have a disability, medical condition and/or support needs it is important that you inform the University so that you receive appropriate support.
We have regular start dates throughout the year with regular application deadlines. Applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if they have special requirements that will need to be taken into consideration.
As society grows increasingly dependent on the internet and technology, the demand for qualified cyber security professionals also grows. This programme is designed to develop technical skills with an immediate application in the workplace, and will position you to succeed within senior technical and managerial positions within the field.
Alongside the subject-specific knowledge you will gain during the programme, you will also develop professional skills such as communication, teamwork, critical thinking and research. These will enhance your CV, allowing you to improve your career prospects and access more senior roles.
We recorded this short video ahead of our Virtual Open Week in which Frans Coenen, Professor of Computer Science, discusses the online postgraduate programmes the Department of Computer Science offers, including who the programmes are for and what you will learn as a student.