Healthcare Leadership MSc – Online Course
Advance your healthcare management career by equipping yourself with the key tools to drive innovation within healthcare across the world.
This master’s degree will advance your leadership skills, knowledge and behaviour – understanding the interface between these is key to your success as a healthcare professional seeking to contribute to the improvement of patient care and healthcare systems.
You will develop the ability to make effective decisions using a pragmatic and evidence-based approach and lead proactively, reflectively and with confidence. You will also learn how to lead at individual, team, organisational and national levels; and establish robust, appropriate, and innovative leadership practices within the healthcare environment, from a small practice to larger clinical environments.
Through online discussion you will have collaborative learning opportunities to apply leadership theory to healthcare settings and critically analyse and discuss case studies with your fellow students. Due to the global reach of this programme, you will gain valuable insights and perspectives from international peers, in private and public sector healthcare settings across the world.
Upon completion of your studies, you will be equipped to provide impactful outcomes for your organisation by offering innovative and high-quality solutions to key contemporary issues within changing healthcare contexts.
Download a prospectus for more details on this programme.
This programme consists of the following modules. You are required to complete 180 credits to achieve a full Master of Science (MSc), 120 credits to achieve the postgraduate diploma (PGDip), 60 credits to achieve the postgraduate certificate (PGCert) and 30 credits to achieve the postgraduate award (PGAward).
- Understanding Leadership (15 credits)‡
- Leading Strategic Management and Implementation of Healthcare Services (15 credits)
- Leading Complex Change in Healthcare Settings (15 credits)‡
- Leading People and Teams in Healthcare Organisations (15 credits)
- Leading Innovation in Healthcare (15 credits)
- Quality Management and Safety in Driving Safe Healthcare (15 credits)§
- Healthcare Finance (15 credits)§
- Research Methods (15 credits)
- Work-Based Project OR Dissertation (60 credits)
‡ These modules must be taken for the PGCert and PGAward. § These modules must be taken for the PGCert.
For more information on the modules, including syllabus and learning outcomes, please download our programme booklet.
All applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis. If you want to discuss your previous qualifications and experience before applying, please contact us now via LiveChat.
Applicants should possess either:
- A minimum of a 2:1 class degree in a relevant subject area, equivalent to a UK bachelor’s degree, coupled with two years’ relevant professional experience in healthcare related setting; or
- Professional work experience in other settings and/or other prior qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applicants must provide evidence that they have an English language ability equivalent to an IELTS (academic) score of 6.5.
If you don’t have an IELTS or equivalent certificate, you can take our free online English test to assess your proficiency. You don’t need to prove your English ability if you are a national of, or have completed a qualification equivalent to a UK degree in, any of these countries.
PG Award: £3,000
All applicants during the 2021/22 academic year will receive a 15% Executive Scholarship, reducing the total fees to:
These fees* are fully inclusive of all costs, including all teaching materials, core textbooks, assessments and resits.
Scholarships and discounts
In addition to the Executive Scholarship, you may also be able to benefit from the following scholarships and discounts:
- Regional Scholarships of up to 15%. To find out the scholarship offered in your region, please make an enquiry now.
- 10% discount for University of Liverpool alumni
- 5% discount for up-front full tuition fee payment
We aim to make it as easy as possible for you to cover the costs of your studies. You could benefit from:
- Simple monthly payment plan provided to spread the cost over the duration of study
- Students living in England may be eligible for a postgraduate loan to cover some of the programme cost.
Please speak to our admissions team for more details of fees, scholarships, discounts and support.
*All tuition fees shown are net of any applicable sales tax payable by you in your country of residence. Where we are required to add sales tax at the local statutory rate, this will be added to the tuition fees shown and confirmed.
Apply for this course by completing a simple online form.
In order to apply, you will need to provide copies of the following supporting documentation:
- School or college transcripts/certificates
- University transcripts and certified translations if applicable
- Degree certificates
- Evidence of English language proficiency (EU and international applications only)
- Personal statement
- One reference (on letter headed paper, signed and dated)
- An up-to-date CV
Acknowledgement of your application
The admissions team will acknowledge receipt of your application and will pass it to the Department Head and/or appropriate academic department(s) for consideration.
Students with disabilities
We welcome applications from students with disabilities and consider them on the same academic grounds as those of other students. If you have a disability, medical condition and/or support needs it is important that you inform the University so that you receive appropriate support.
We have regular start dates throughout the year with regular application deadlines. Applicants are encouraged to apply in good time, particularly if they have special requirements.
Graduates will possess the necessary knowledge and skills to succeed in a range of managerial and senior roles within healthcare organisations, healthcare governing bodies, and community healthcare organisations, as well as related sectors such as financial and consulting. These could include positions in clinical leadership, marketing, finance, strategy, international development, research, and human resources.
Additionally, you will gain the leadership skills required to be an effective leader, as well as professional skills, such as teamwork, critical thinking and research, which will generally enhance your CV and improve your career prospects.
We recently recorded a short video for our Virtual Open Week in which Dr Gary Brown discusses the online postgraduate programmes the Management School at the University of Liverpool offers, including who the programmes are for, what you will learn as a student, and how taking one of the qualifications can help to develop your skills and career.
As part of the video, an overview of each programme is also presented by the programme’s Director of Study. Healthcare Leadership MSc is presented by Jennifer Johnson at 20:15.